JUN 2022 - JULY 2022
Crunchyroll is a website and online community focused on video streaming East Asian media including anime, manga and music content. The redesign will focus on simplifying the user interface, organizing the anime catalog, and making the website more responsive. Since there is a wide of range of high quality streaming services available on the market. Users are expecting the same level of quality, features and design.
• Conduct interviews with current users of the platform and gather their feedback.
• Crafted wireframes, interactive prototypes, visuals and UI assets.
• Main UI/UX & Visual Designer.
• Simplifying the navigation, providing clear and concise labels, and using consistent design elements throughout the website.
• Ensuring that the redesign stays true to Crunchyroll brand identity. This means using colors, fonts, and imagery that are consistent with the Crunchyroll brand
• Have a more modern and appealing aesthetic, which could help to attract new users to Crunchyroll.
• Create a layout that will be easier to use and navigate, making it a more enjoyable experience for users
In order to improve Crunchyroll's overall user experience. We first need to understand the structure of the website and see how they display their content.
Crunchyroll Trending / News
Anime Advertisements / Crunchyroll Curated Content
User Related Content
Here are some of the designs of other popular anime streaming websites. These websites are some of Crunchyroll's top competitors.
I’ve conducted user research interviews with 5 Crunchyroll users and 5 users that stream anime. The main pain points of the website/system include navigation, hierarchy of different types of content and easy of use.
Crunchyroll being a website that sells manga and streams anime. The content is displayed in a very uneven way and with the ads not structured properly its hard for people to understand what are different types of content available.
HOMEPAGE (PART 1)
VIDEO PLAYER PAGE
HOMEPAGE (PART 2)
LANDING PAGE & SIGN UP PAGE
I have conducted some user testing with the help of a few users who use Crunchyroll and other anime streaming websites regularly. Here are some of their thoughts after testing out the redesigned version of the website:
USER 2 : "I like the fact that its actual videos playing and not some stock ads"
USER 1 : "It reminds me of Netflix but in a good way, I instantly know what's new "
USER 3 : "The new landing page screams crunchyroll and anime to me. I love it!"
USER 2 : "I love the addition of the comments below, makes it feel like a community"
USER 1 : "The new player is much more clean and nice to look at"
VIDEO PLAYER PAGE
USER 3 : "I wish there was a reccomendations section cause i dont want to go back to the catalog to pick something else.."
This project was one of the most creative projects that I got to work on. Redesigning a website that I use often and love started out as a passion project but quickly turned out to a be a great learning experience. Based on a bunch of interviews with several users, I got to create an user friendly design that provides users with a clean interface, modern aesthetic and features/interactions that feel responsive.