JUL 8, 2023 - JUL 20, 2023
Released in 2020, VALORANT is a free-to-play hero shooter developed by Riot Games, where the players play as Agents based on several countries around the world to either attack or defend various sites. The game recently received a new patch with a lot of UI changes and one of the big changes was the Agent Menu that could be found in the store. In this project, I critically analyze and propose some improvements to this particular menu to help players understand its purpose.
• Conduct interviews with current players of the game and gather their feedback.
• Crafted wireframes, interactive prototypes, visuals and UI assets.
• UI/UX Designer.
• Making sure that the players are able to understand the purpose of the menu a bit better.
• Ensuring that the UI is consistent with the game's overall aesthetic and not to deviate to much from the overall design philosophy of the game.
• Incorporate feedback from players into the UI design process.
• Create a user interface that is intuitive, easy to use, and visually appealing.
• Maintaining similar styles and layouts that are found throughout the game.
Since the way players unlock characters now in VALORANT has been completely reworked, it makes sense that there is a new menu/tab specifically to unlock AGENTS in the store menu. But in doing so, a lot of the current and new VALORANT players are finding it hard to understand its purpose and finding the overall layout bland compared to some of the other menus in the game.
I conducted guerilla interviews with 5 players and analyzed some community feedback to uncover the following issues with VALORANT's agent store menu:
1. Design felt bland and disconnected from the other menus found in the game.
3. Lack of animations and static character cards.
2. No incentives for the players other than just unlocking the characters, even though there are AGENT rewards present in the game.
LOW FIDELITY WIREFRAME
AGENT SELECT CARD
For the AGENT cards, I made sure to include the following elements to give it more character:
2. BACKGROUND: AGENT'S COLOR SCHEME
1. BACKGROUND: AGENT TEXT NAME
3. AGENT'S ROLE (ex. DUELIST, INITIATOR)
4. ANIMATIONS FOR DIFFERENT STATES OF THE CARD
DIFFERENT STATES (UNLOCKED AND LOCKED)
Throughout the design process, I kept the player in mind at every step. I asked myself questions about how the players would process the visuals and information presented to them, and I made sure that the new menu interface was easy to navigate and understand. I also made sure that the new menu system was visually appealing and consistent with the overall aesthetic of VALORANT.
I did not create any of the character artwork, all the credit goes to the amazing folks at Riot Games. I just used some of the art as a base and created my own assets to help illustrate some of my changes and ideas.